Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Dish

On at least one of my days off, I try to cook a new dish or practice something that I want to learn to cook. My main focus is being able to cook things from scratch. My last couple of days off I made chicken soup from scratch, using a few hours on the first day to boil up some broth, and the second day was used to make the actual soup. It turned out ok, the broth wasn't as flavorful as I wanted it to be but it was good for my first try.
I think today however, I'm going to roast another chicken, which is something I know I'm good at. The whole point is to start practicing making gravy from the drippings in hopes that by the time Thanksgiving rolls around I'll have a good gravy to go with the dinner. I'm not sure where my gravy keeps going wrong, but I'll check with Martha today to see if she has advice. 

3 comments:

MorsaJones said...

how did you make your broth? using the old fashioned chicken bones in the water or water? haha

MorsaJones said...

also!

an easy step-by-step explanation of the chicken roasting would be awesome.

Winnemucca's Own said...

I made the broth by boiling a chicken for about an hour, then taking all the meat off the chicken and boiling the bones and skin with carrots, celery and seasonings for a few hours. Pretty time consuming for chicken water! Hehe