Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Susan's Roasted Chicken

As you all know, I've been somewhat obsessed with roasting chickens. They make a perfect day off dinner because they always smell so good when they're cooking, and it feels like you're making a fancy meal even though it's about the easiest thing in the world. So, here is my method, which I can finally say has been perfected.

You'll Need:
  • 1 chicken - I usually get a 3-4 pound bird since it's just for me and Shelby
  • herbs - directions for my herb mix are below
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 12" cast iron pan - you can use a roasting pan but I've never cooked a chicken in one so I can't vouch for the results
  • small roasting rack
  • kitchen twine
  • kitchen scissors
Turn the oven on to 375 to preheat. I usually have a jar full of my chicken seasoning made already, but if you don't, this is a good time to get everything together. I use dried sage and rosemary, pretty much in equal parts plus salt and pepper to taste. I also grind the mixture a bit using my bootleg mortar and pestle (it's a glass custard cup, and a small coke bottle) to make the rosemary bits smaller. Set aside in a small dish. You'll need a decent amount so be generous when you're mixing it together. Besides, you can always save the leftover amount to use later. 

Thinly slice the garlic cloves. Not paper thin, but maybe the width of a penny or nickel.

Get the chicken ready. Set aside the neck and giblets for later if you have a use for them. Wash the chicken under running cold water, inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels. Fold it's wings back by placing the wing tips behind it's back. Set it on the roasting rack in the pan. I usually cut it's little triangular chicken tail off with kitchen scissors.

Combine your garlic slices with the herb mixture, until the garlic is coated. One by one, place the pieces of garlic under the chicken's skin next to the breast in an even layer, I try to get as far up under the skin as I can, and try to fit most of the garlic under there. (If you've never done this before, take the piece of skin at the bottom of the ribcage, pull it up a bit and poke underneath it with your fingers.) Then sprinkle more herb mixture all over the chicken and rub it around so it's pretty even. You can also pour a bit into the cavity, or put some extra garlic, or a carrot in there, or a bay leaf, or some fresh thyme. It makes the whole thing smell even better. Tie the chicken's legs together with the kitchen twine. Stick it in the oven, with the oven rack in the middle.

Cooking time depends on the size of the bird, but use this chart from trusty old Good Housekeeping Cookbook as a guide. All times are for an oven temperature of 350.
  • 2 1/2 - 3 lbs -  1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours
  • 3 - 4 1/2 lbs -  1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours
  • 5 - 7 lbs -  2 to 2 1/4 hours
In any case, because I'm paranoid, I always use my meat thermometer to  check the temperature. It should be at 175 to 180 degrees according to G. H., even though that link says 160.  Also, you can bump up the oven temperature to 375, but that also depends on how your oven heats.

Some tips if you're not a seasoned roaster. (Unlike your chicken. Hehehe.)
  • If your chicken is browning too quickly, loosely cover it with a layer of foil. Basting the chicken will make the chicken brown faster, you can use it's own dripping, or chicken broth. I don't really baste my chickens all that much. Maybe once or twice during the last half of cooking time. 
  • Make sure you wait a few minutes to carve it. It makes the whole process a lot easier, although I'm still not very good at carving the chicken into pieces, so any tips there are welcome. 
  • The leftovers come in handy during the week, I used some in my homemade chicken soup.
I think that's it. Long post for a simple chicken!

1 comment:

Peppermint Patti said...

sounds good..I have never gotten under a chicken's skin before..hehe